leaderboard

Thursday 18 June 2015

Holes On The Inside


 
Have you ever been inside the very imposing edifice that houses the Holy Spirit Cathedral at Asylum Down?  As a congregant, a guest at a wedding, a mourner at a loved one’s passing, a passerby who occasionally goes there to commune with his Maker at noon? No? Never? Well, I’ll ask you to pay a visit to the cathedral where the very affable, soft spoken Archbishop Palmer-Buckle serves the Lord’s Supper every Sunday when he’s not engaged elsewhere.

From the high roof, the magnificent pieces of sculpture in the upper terrace, the multicoloured windows, to the beautiful Adinkra symbols that adorn the decorative wooden slab behind the Altar, one can’t help but allow the lower jaw drop some few inches in awe. But if for some bizarre reason, one deliberately refuses to be amazed by these artifacts, one particular feature will put that fellow in contention for the devil’s title – ‘Father of Lies and Deceit’! These are the specially designed kaleidoscopic holes made very high up the walls, throwing in lights of different colours. What’s more? A collection of these holes produce varied pictures including ones like the Virgin Mary cuddling the baby Jesus and the Archangels with their swords drawn ready for battle.

The first time I entered this cathedral was during Komla Dumor’s funeral where some of my Multimedia colleagues and I had gone to pay our last respect to, arguably, Ghana’s finest broadcast journalist.  The occasion was a rather somber one that prevented me from fully appreciating the beauty around me. Then my colleague and I started visiting there weekly to soliloquize with God. I couldn’t mutter any meaningful words on our first visit because I saddled myself with the task of being awestruck by the brilliance of artists. Recently, after engaging in that monologue, I stared at the art in the holes on the walls above me. I was lost in deep thought and it wasn’t until the third or so tap on my shoulder from my colleague than I came to reality.

Just before we exited the main gate of the compound, I turned to see how the exterior holes with the pictures looked to passersby. “Ah! How can this be”, I thought to myself. It was not as beautiful as its interior, and provided no clue of what was behind them – even the windows! And as Jeremiah Buabeng usually says in his facebook posts, “I observed and took instruction”. I figured the artists were trying to tell anyone who cared to observe something; that is how we ought to live our lives as sojourners of this earth…that it was important to look good on the outside, but even more important is the beauty one possessed inside!

I once met a lady at a function whose beauty can only be described as mermaid-esque, accentuated with a sharp taste in fashion. Heads turned and eyes stared in her direction when she entered. She seemed to have mesmerized everyone present. The presence of a wedding band on her finger didn’t prevent me from walking up to her to pay a compliment or two, as I harboured no ulterior motive whatsoever. I was about 10 meters away from her when what I heard her say to the person at the other end of the phone froze me in my tracks – “W’ab)dam, w’ehu?” To wit, are you mad? And this was heard by almost everyone who stood close by. Apparently, her driver was running late and was the recipient of the 3rd degree meted out publicly. My ‘respect’ for her petered away mighty quickly than Usain Bolt’s 9.58 seconds 100-meter world record. I reckon you also have an experience or two like that to share.

Dear readers, what is the essence of living without integrity, respect nor love for mankind? It is important to attract others with your looks and charm, but what happens afterwards? Does your character make them stay in your life or it makes them leave almost immediately? Do people find you trustworthy enough to engage your services in business deals? Do people scoff when you give them your word, because it means nothing to them? If your character was made into a movie and premiered, would you be glad at what will be projected on the screens for people to see?  Would it educe positive reviews from entertainment critics?
     
None can claim perfection, except the Father, I agree. But the very acknowledgement of faults in anyone should be encouragement to assiduously work on them. I don’t think one must be lowered 6 feet or cremated with those faults – at the very least, he should die trying. Many Ghanaian folktales dwell on the importance of being beautiful on the inside. Never do they highlight outward beauty, but rather teach that what is inside eventually manifests outside – like pregnancy. 

My name is Paa Kwesi Bentum Williams, and although I try to dress elegantly, the builders of the Holy Spirit Cathedral have taught me a great lesson - to stay even more beautiful on the inside.



         


6 comments:

  1. "My name is Sonia Seyram Awo Sika Tsagli, and although I try to dress beautifully and look good on the outside, the builders of the Holy Spirit Cathedral have taught me a great lesson - to stay even more beautiful on the inside."

    Such a good read... When I grow up I want to write like you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...now I'm shy...I think you write better oo....Thank you very much Sonia Seyram Awo Sika Tsagli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a pleasure to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tablet Co. I'm grateful to have you as an avid reader of my musings....Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice piece. .. I must say I enjoyed reading your blog !!. Keep it up !! The name is Daniella Boadu - Yeboah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great piece from "my father" Kwesi Bentum" thumps up Pakay!

    ReplyDelete