leaderboard

Monday 21 November 2016

Reinforcement

I attended a training programme recently where 'Organizational Health & Safety' was part of the topics discussed. It was structured to be participatory where one could be called at random to answer a question posed by the session leader. But inasmuch as we were provided with a notepad and a pen, I somehow 'forgot' to jot down some points. The leader realized but said nothing - or asked no question which could have 'embarrassed' me. I was just listening (or intermittently lost in thought).


After about 45 minutes, he saw me writing and walked over. He had said something that struck a chord in me. It was a phrase security agencies like the CIA use often. He saw what I wrote, looked at me 'some way bi', and asked almost inaudibly why that was the only thing I had written so far. I smiled wryly, but said nothing. After the lecture, he walked to me and said: young man, I will be waiting to read what your thoughts are on that one-liner you jotted down. Noticing my quizzical look, he smirked and intimated that he was an ardent reader of my posts here on Myjoyonline. I let out what many describe an 'annoying laughter' and thanked him, after which he offered some nuggets and we parted ways.

The one-liner, "when you see something, say something...and when you say something, do something" was very profound, my mind was immediately transported back to the training from wherever it was. I saw the truism in this statement and I deemed it fit to use it to reecho a point I made in an earlier post.

Dear reader, we all have something laid on our hearts - an inordinate passion we all harbour in our bosom. That which we see each time we close our eyes to catch some sleep. But it is not enough just visualizing it. We need to go a step further to write it down or even speak it each day repeatedly, so it inspires us each time the words reverberates in our hearts. 

And if we left it at that, won't the world consider us dreamers and mere talkers? Isn't the world full of them? Aren't we friends with some of them? Would you be comfortable with that description? Unless you are the biblical 'Joseph the dreamer', you can't afford to just dream. We need to do everything it takes to flesh it out - anything legal and permissible, I must add. It must see the light of day before you are lowered down into the grave or cremated.

No one [really] pays attention to the dreamer nor the talker, but the doer commands a great deal of respect. The vision of the former is 'hanged, drawn and quartered' eventually. It is the latter that is celebrated, even by his greatest critics.

I'm Paa Kwesi Bentum 'Biskit' Williams, and when I see something, I'll say something. And when I say something, I will do something. Like Nike, I’ll JUST DO IT (in billionaire Arthur Williams' voice).

Have a wonderful, fruitful week.

More Vim...Let's Go

No comments:

Post a Comment