leaderboard

Thursday 9 March 2017

Will The Real Gentleman Please Step Forward?

I share an office with a warm lady whose ‘close proximity to the ground’ prevents her from reaching the files which sit on an Italian wood cabinet high over our heads. Incidentally, her role requires that the files be brought down frequently, in which cases my almost 6 feet height come in handy. I have also noticed, however, the convention that whoever brings her a document that requires filing ‘automatically’ fetches the needed file from the cabinet.      


The role of another female colleague in a different department in the company requires that she frequents our office many times in a day, almost always with documents that require filing. And on most of her visits, my head is either glued to the giant-screened monitor which sits on my desk preparing a report or buried deep into a bulky document I’m reviewing. I look up when I hear her voice in order to say “Mmbarima mba”, the slogan of her alma mater, Koforidua Secondary Technical School, to which she proudly responds “Arise and Shine”. Now on this particular day, I looked up to engage in that verbal exercise and saw her big beautiful eyes staring at me ‘some way bi’, freezing me in my tracks. Being a certified smile giver, the set of teeth I flashed at her did not elicit her usual wider smile – not that day. In its stead, there was a smirk and a gentle shaking of the head which sits on a beautifully folded neck. I feigned unconcern and pretended to go back to work, but looked up again after about 30 seconds and the gaze had not left me direction. It got queer. I found her in the hallway shortly after she exited our office and I enquired the reason for the ‘scene’ that left me discomfited.

The questions were harmless at first, which I answered with dazzling smiles. Then she finally asked with a condescending sneer: "so how come you are not a gentleman?” Now, I have been described as a ‘gentleman’ especially by members of the opposite sex, and rightly so – because it is true (naysayers – please, get thee behind me, before I add 'satan'!). So you can imagine the bewildered look I cast at her when she bluntly asked that. I was shocked not at her ‘verdict’ per se, but her reason for reaching that conclusion. “You have a very strong sense of fashion…you speak well…and also a very good smile/laughter giver. I have heard some people in the company pay glowing tributes about your chivalry”, she reminded me. My sheepish smile was short-lived. “However, I think otherwise….yours’, I’m afraid, is dead!” she ‘boomed’ like she studied under the feet of ex-president Jerry John Rawlings. I felt my face looking funny.

Her reason? Although I’m always seated in the office when she comes and even engage her in conversations, never had I bothered to help her get the files from the cabinet even when I see her sometimes using the sole of her stilettos to bring a file down. With eggs on my face, I turned my now heavy self towards my office, but she continued: “a true gentleman, in my opinion, is not the one who only dresses smart, wears a good perfume or talks smoothly like you do…he is the fellow who goes out of his way to do even the mundane things for women, when they least expect it. It is on the inside, not on the outside.” This is a direct transliteration of what she told me in vernacular interlaced with English (and she’s not even Fante...lol). Even though that did [does] not describe me, I offered no rebuttals. I watched her walk away until she rounded the corner. As my senior, Jeremiah Buabeng usually says in his motivational posts on social media, “I observed and took instruction”.

Dear reader, although I knew, it was forcefully reechoed to me that what we do on the outside is only an outward manifestation of what happens on the inside. Some people are successful in its suppression early on, but it eventually comes out – like pregnancy. People will be watching when it finally does come out, usually at moments when we might be oblivious about its occurrence.

A good name, the Good Book says, is better than riches. It is able to open doors for you in your lifetime and many more for your descendants long after your grinders cease. Although on almost all instances the lady had come to my office, I was genuinely oblivious of goings-on with regards to her work after the ‘school fans’ are done, I am still expected to bring down the files as a ‘true’ gentleman will. Now, I do not know what she says when she hears another speak favourably about my chivalry in my absence, but what I do know is that some repairable damage has been done to my reputation in her books. To successfully correct that erroneous notion, I need to work harder. I reckon it isn't entirely true that we never get a second chance to make a first impression. We do, except that it is to correct the first impression. And it takes real effort to do that, I kid you not. Now, I eavesdrop on another’s conversation with my office partner just to know whether a file needs to be fetched from up the cabinet. 

And note sadly that we are unable to afford an opportunity not to care about the opinions others have about us. We live in a world where many lives have been shattered and sometimes lost just because others held erroneous impressions of victims.

So will the true gentleman please step forward?  


More Vim…Let’s Go…

No comments:

Post a Comment