leaderboard

Monday 19 September 2016

It Waits Not...'Tick..Tock'...

When I was in primary school, my cousin and I had the opportunity of being taught how to play the piano. We lived in the same house with his dad who is a very good keyboardist.


Our mums, when they realized our interest had been whipped up, encouraged us to give it our all. Mine engaged the services of a young man in our neighborhood (himself a protégé of my uncle who had passed out successfully) to take over from my uncle when his work load increased. But after a month or so, the interest had petered away mighty faster than it came. 

My cousin who also found another route, continued learning and now plays for our church on Sundays together with his dad. His passion did not die like mine. He even learned to play the drums. He sings and conducts as well; a consummate musician to be presented to the world soon. And you need to see the joy on his face (sometimes with a pout on the lip) each time he's engaged in any of these activities.


Dear reader, they say opportunity comes but once. Although we may hurriedly disagree with this statement, there is some truism in it. Consider this: I had the opportunity to learn to play the piano sometime ago, does it still exist? No. Life has saddled me with other responsibilities that prevent me from learning it now. It would have been very nice to be able to play the piano as a hobby. It would have been beautiful to play like the legendary James ‘Red Cap’ Scott-Bennin, the ‘one-man’ orchestra Alfred Patrick Addaquay or the ‘harmonious’ James-Varrick Armah. I struggle to hold back tears of regret each time I see any young fellow play the piano. And that's one of my regrets. I sadly relive it every Sunday when I watch my cousin play - even yesterday!

My dear friend, time isn't at our beck and call, you know? It's not programmed so we do things at our own 'convenience'.

I've read autobiographies of famous people who have looked back on their lives and not smiled at the opportunities they grabbed, but rather regretted the ones they should have taken. 

I know people who are living very miserable married lives because they let an opportunity to settle down with the true love of their lives slip away. 

I know people who steupsed at a business opportunity because it wasn't ‘lucrative enough’, only to see another very successful with that same opportunity. They now are playing second fiddle. 

Sometimes, these opportunities are masked in a not-so-pleasant setting. In those instances, it takes wisdom to see the silver lining in them. The scriptures (particularly James 1:5) come in handy here.

Unhappiness is an unnecessary burden to carry. Doctors have adduced this as a major cause death of some people who otherwise had many more years to live.

So as we have began a new working week, open your eyes. See the opportunities that have been set on the table before you. Grab them with both hands. And anecdotal evidence has it that when your loved ones gather to pay their last respects to you, they will find you wearing a smile on your death bed.


More Vim…Let’s Go…        

No comments:

Post a Comment